Daily Grind vs. Daily Rest
Before I even open my eyes, I am aware of the unrest. My ears tune into the sound of my children sniping at one another. I briefly consider drifting off again... then, rising with a sigh, I open my bedroom door and walk out into the hall. Their words of irritation cling to me like cobwebs. I feel my spirit rising up and before I check myself, I snap. "Knock it off! What are you fighting about?! What a terrible way to wake up!" And the day is off to a dubious start.
I've been awake for less than five minutes and I am exhausted. Oh, Lord, surely this is not what You had planned! Where is the peace, harmony, sun shining, little birds chirping and children skipping hand-in-hand? You promised that You would give me rest! I know there is a verse... what is it... oh yes, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 What's that Lord? It's a promise with a verb? Ohh... "come to Me"... I have to come to You and then You will give me rest. But, there is so much to do... "come to Me"... we have to start school, I have papers to grade... "come to Me"... the dishes and laundry are piling up, there's so much work to do... "come to Me"... Okay Lord, I'll come... I'm so weary.
Have you ever felt like that? I believe that for most of us weariness is an all too familiar feeling. And yet, the Word of God is filled with verses on rest; there are hundreds of then. I'd like to spend some time looking at what the Lord has to say. I don't believe that He intended for our lives to be a daily grind, but rather a daily rest... in Him. Come, let us rest!
I've been awake for less than five minutes and I am exhausted. Oh, Lord, surely this is not what You had planned! Where is the peace, harmony, sun shining, little birds chirping and children skipping hand-in-hand? You promised that You would give me rest! I know there is a verse... what is it... oh yes, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 What's that Lord? It's a promise with a verb? Ohh... "come to Me"... I have to come to You and then You will give me rest. But, there is so much to do... "come to Me"... we have to start school, I have papers to grade... "come to Me"... the dishes and laundry are piling up, there's so much work to do... "come to Me"... Okay Lord, I'll come... I'm so weary.
Have you ever felt like that? I believe that for most of us weariness is an all too familiar feeling. And yet, the Word of God is filled with verses on rest; there are hundreds of then. I'd like to spend some time looking at what the Lord has to say. I don't believe that He intended for our lives to be a daily grind, but rather a daily rest... in Him. Come, let us rest!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home